Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Gave my first shot!!!

My wonderful, supportive, easygoing husband was my first "victim" -- or rather "willing participant" to be the first recipient of my injection-giving future nurse self.  Hubby and the kids all needed a Twinrix booster shot (hep A & B), so we went to our doc's office last week to get this done. 

Back in May, when I was getting my various shots for nursing school, the clinic nurse showed me how to give needles, after I asked her to teach it to me (yes, I am a keener to learn!  Teach me!  Show me!  Explain stuff to me!).

Then last week, as the same nurse was getting the shots ready, I jokingly said maybe I should give hubby his shot.  Was I floored when she said I could, if he consented.  He was a bit surprised, but was game.  However, he did say that he knew he'd be my nursing 'guinea pig' for various things I'll be learning over the years, but didn't think an injection would be the first thing on the agenda...

And perhaps what surprised me the most, was the confidence I felt when I gave it to him.  My hands weren't shaking like I thought they would be.  If I say so myself, it was a damn good shot.  It felt like I'd been doing it for years.  I was on a 'high' for the rest of the day.  I was so happy about having done this little thing.  I know giving shots will become very routine one day, but this first time was a big deal.

Yes, this career change to the medical field is, beyond any doubt, the place I belong.  If I feel this great after doing such a simple procedure, I can only imagine how it will feel after working a shift in L&D or emerg. 

Imagine having rewarding work?????  I can only imagine for now, but I'm starting to believe it may be a reality one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment