Pages

Monday, February 27, 2012

Tuesdays with Morrie

I re-read this book of mine a few days ago (Tuesdays with Morrie, by Mitch Albom), and enjoyed its message yet again.  I'm the type of person who likes to go back and re-read my favourite books, some of them even over and over and over...

One passage stood out in this re-read of the book, as spoken by Morrie:

"So many people walk around with a meaningless life.  They seem half-asleep, even when they're busy doing things they think are important.  This is because they're chasing the wrong things.  The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning."
 Before my nursing school/career change phase, I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call my life completely meaningless, but it was simply living the life I had.  I managed to do some fulfilling things, and was definitely loving my family life.  But much of the days were spent on 'auto-pilot' - just getting through the days, and getting what needed to be done, done.  Maybe it feels meaningless, when it is not doing work we particularly enjoy, and it start getting you down after awhile.  Yet, you are in the work, it is definitely a good job, but just not compatible to your personality, interests and priorities.  Just not a good 'fit'. 

Now, I feel like I'm more of an active participant in my life, choosing to do what I really want to do. There are, of course, still the mundane, every-day things that need to be done, but when the bigger things, the dreams that one has start getting fulfilled, that brings a few feeling to the days, even the mundane stuff.  And, as I allow myself to finally believe that I'm actually making this change (yes, it takes me awhile sometimes to truly believe the big things in life are true!), it feels amazing.

I'm not sure I'm expressing myself very clearly, but it will have to suffice for now.  Lots of reading still has to be done, for Wednesday's medical ethics/philosophy midterm!

No comments:

Post a Comment