Pages

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Microbiology - parasites lecture

Well, we had a guest lecturer give the presentation this week to our clinical microbiology class.  He is a parasitologist.

I won't gross anyone out by discussing details from the lecture, but in summary, I left that class thinking I will never again:

- go swimming in a lake/river
- go swimming in a public swimming pool/water theme park
- eat fish
- eat pork
- eat bear or wild game (not that I eat these normally, or ever!)
- travel anywhere
- pet animals at a petting zoo, such as calves
- ever have a cat
- have a fly land on me, or eat/touch anything a fly has landed on
- eat fruits/veggies without thoroughly disinfecting them
- touch, or even go near, a cat litter box
- feed a chickadee from my hand
- play in the sand at the park, or let my kids play in the sand in the park
- bite my nails (this was not an issue, but I will certainly never, ever do this again)
- wear shorts/tank top when mosquito season is here (which is all summer in Canada!!!)
- garden in my flower beds
- drink water (due to water-borne outbreaks)

Basically, I have to stop eating, drinking and go live in a bubble.

OK, I'm just kidding about taking my list seriously.  However, the possible effects of all the parasitic critters out there will stay with me for a long time. 

Pity any kids I will come across from now on (particularly my own), who I see trying to sneak out of the washroom without washing their hands....they will be lathering their little hands while singing a rousing entire rendition of "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" with me (to ensure they're lathering for the full 20 seconds!)

Medicine and music are closely inter-twined disciplines indeed!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment