Pages

Friday, March 9, 2012

Random thought for today - spare time

My random thought for today is regarding spare time, as I am spending almost all my free time today (and the coming weekend) studying for two upcoming exams on Tuesday.

When I look back at what I was doing a year ago , before I went back to school, I wonder what I did with all my spare time?

I mean, I did the obvious, went to work full-time, did family stuff, chores around the house, errands, etc. etc. I clearly had some free time, despite being busy with 'life'.  But I'm still doing all those things (minus working FT, but then again, school and studying is like a full-time job, and then some!).  So that hasn't changed.  Actually, it has changed in that now I get to do more family stuff, particularly with my youngest child, who is still home half days, given my class schedule was chosen in a way to maximize my time at home with her.  That is a very, very good thing!!!

These days, however, it just seems that every spare moment is taken up with either studying, or thinking that I should be studying.  This is the "should" cloud that hangs over (almost) every student's head.  There is always something more one could be learning.

The only obvious difference in how I spend my free time now, that I can figure out, is that now I'm barely watching TV at all.  Not that I watched a lot of TV before I was a student again, but there certainly were those after-dinner, post-getting the kids to bed-kitchen tidied up-getting ready for the next day-exhaustion that I would simply crash on the couch and channel surf.  (These days, I crack the textbooks open instead - how 'relaxing' is that!?)  I still watch my beloved Gray's Anatomy when I remember it's on, but otherwise, the TV is pretty much off for me.

That's a good thing, I guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment