Pages

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

The Anti-climax Phase of Nursing School

I must admit, finishing nursing school is extremely anti-climatic. After all those weeks, months and years (!) of counting down to the finish date, of doing last exams, last papers, last presentations and last clinical shifts, it is suddenly over. The toasts are made and the champagne is thoroughly enjoyed.

And now what? The anti-climax.

So nursing school is done, but we are in limbo. The huge licensing exam looms huge over our heads, since without a license, we cannot practice. Job applications are submitted, and we wait. And study. And wait some more.

It is another phase of transition in this career change, and those of you who know me, know that I am n-o-t a fan of transition. Deep down in my heart, I simply know that everything will work out and I'll be looking back at this post thinking, "If I knew then what I know now, I'd not be worrying about anything." And truth be told, I'm not worrying. It is more of an unsettled feeling. My routine and structure from the past four years of school is suddenly gone, the final clinical rotation that had us working full-time is over, and it is not yet replaced with working.

I think I spent about a good 10 days just de-stressing and relaxing and exercising. I hadn't realized just how tense and how much work the past few years have been. Now my head is clearer, and I've started studying for the licensing exam. On a very bright note, I wrote the CAT exam last week, to practice for the NCLEX, and got the "good" pop up after only 85 questions. So that, plus the HESI results, have greatly increased my confidence for the licensing exam, and have helped my motivation to start studying again (even though nursing school is finished!).

Tonight I will be teaching my daughter's Girl Guide unit their first aid badge. I have so many activities planned for them. It is going to be so much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment